Human Element Leadership and Management Training – Operational Level
Our HELM (O) Operational training course is approved by the UK Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) and has been designed for candidates seeking certification under:
- STCW Regulation II/1 – officers in charge of a navigational watch on seagoing ships of 500 GT or more (ie. OOW)
- STCW Regulation III/1 – officers in charge of an engineering watch in a manned engine-room or as designated duty engineers in a periodically unmanned engine- room
- STCW Regulation III/6 – electro-technical officers.
Based on the MNTB’s criteria for Human Element Leadership and Management (HELM) Operational and Management Levels First Edition Sept 2012, the candidates will learn how to control the operation of the ship and care for persons on board at the operational level.
The HELM (O) Operational course will entail components made up of case studies, role play, scenarios, simulation and team exercises. The learning objectives included within the course are as follows:
- Identify good practice in shipboard human resource management.
- Identify the importance of the ‘human element’ in shipboard operations
- Apply the underpinning knowledge of related international maritime conventions and recommendations, national regulations, and codes of practice and guidelines covered in other mandatory units when controlling the operation of the ship and care for persons on board at the operational level.
- Apply the elements of task and workload management, including planning, co-ordination, allocation and prioritisation of human and physical resources when controlling the operation of the ship and care for persons on board.
- Apply effective resource management techniques.
- Apply the principles and practice of decision-making.
- Manage fatigue and stress.
- Contribute to shipboard training, learning, assessing and developing human management
Candidates will be assessed throughout the course as well as examined on the final day to ensure that they meet the competency required for the level of training received.
Learners following an MNTB/MCA approved programme are eligible to undertake this course after their first seagoing phase. Learners following the experienced seafarer route to MCA certification shall meet the minimum seagoing service requirements for the issue of a first CoC.